The Denver competency disputes lawyer at Donald Glenn Peterson Attorney at Law will aggressively represent your rights and interests in any disputes involving a decedent’s alleged incompetency.
Competency disputes associated with wills involve claims that the willmaker, also referred to as the decedent, was not of sound mind when the will was drafted and/or authorized due to the fact that:
- (S)he did not know that (s)he was, in fact, creating a will at the time the will was drafted.
- (S)he did not understand the nature of his assets when drafting the will.
- (S)he did not understand who his family members (i.e., heirs) were at the time of drafting the will because, for example, he did not recognize or couldn’t identify them.
Competency disputes may also be referred to as “not of sound mind” claims or “testamentary capacity” claims, and the can be tricky to deal with, as:
- Establishing a competency claim in probate court will typically require the beneficiary to have medical evidence, such as doctor’s reports, test results, etc., that verify that the decedent was not of sound mind when drafting or authorizing the will.
- They could prohibit a beneficiary from collecting an inheritance if the will contains a “no contest clause” and if the court ultimately rules against the beneficiary’s competency claim.
Given all that is at stake when a competency dispute arises, it’s crucial that beneficiaries who are seeking to make such claims against a will work with the experienced Denver competency lawyer at Donald Glenn Peterson Attorney at Law. For years, we have been successful at helping our clients challenge wills on the basis of competency claims due to our extensive knowledge of probate law and our experience litigating such matters in probate court.
Consulting with an Experienced Denver Competency Disputes Lawyer
If you are contesting a will due to claims that an individual was not competent at the time the will was drafted and authorized, the Denver competency disputes lawyer at Donald Glenn Peterson Attorney at Law is here to help you aggressively protect your rights at every stage of the complicated legal process. Regardless of the precise nature of the dispute in your case, our full-service law firm can effectively defend your rights and interests to help you get through the legal process as favorably and efficiently as possible.
For more information regarding our services, as well as professional legal advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward with a contested will and competency dispute claim, contact the experienced and trusted Denver competency disputes lawyer at Donald Glenn Peterson Attorney at Law by emailing us or calling (303) 758-0999.